Apple, a leading name in technology, continually innovates its line of products, with the iPhone being one of the most popular. With so many models released over the years, it can be a challenge to keep track.
If you’ve ever asked, “how to tell what iPhone I have?”, then this guide is for you.
Understanding your iPhone model is crucial for many reasons, such as unlocking great deals for device trade-ins or ensuring compatibility with the latest iOS updates and apps.
In this post, we’ll walk you through several foolproof methods to determine your iPhone model. Let’s dive in!
Method 1: Checking Your iPhone’s Model Name and Number
One of the simplest ways to find your iPhone model is by looking at the device’s name and model number. Here’s how:
- Go to Settings > General > About.
- Look for the part of the number to the right of Model.
- Tap on the number to see the full model number.
For iPhone 7 and earlier models, the model number is displayed on the back of the device. For iPhone 8 and later models, the model number can be found after removing the SIM tray.
Method 2: Using the Settings App
The Settings app provides another quick way to discover your iPhone model.
- Tap on the Version Information section.
- Scroll down until you see the Model Identifier label.
- Tap on the Model Identifier label to reveal the model number.
- Tap on the More Info button to view additional details about the device.
Method 3: Viewing Your Apple/iCloud Account
If you have an Apple or iCloud account, you can easily identify your iPhone model through these services.
- Open the Settings app.
- Click on your profile/name at the top.
- Scroll down to the list of your devices.
- Tap on any of the devices listed to obtain details such as the model, serial number, OS version, and more.
For more information on how to use your iCloud account, read our guide: How to Use Apple iCloud.
Method 4: Matching the Model Number to the Model Name
If you’re still unsure after checking your device’s model number and name separately, it’s time to match them together. This can help clarify which model you have.
Additional Methods to Identify Your iPhone
Here are a few more techniques that might help you identify your device:
- Serial Number: This can be found in the Settings app. Simply go to General, then proceed to About. The serial number will be displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- IMEI Number: The International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number is a unique identifier that can be found on the back of your device or on the battery’s backside.
With these methods at your fingertips, identifying your iPhone model should be a breeze! Don’t forget to share this guide with friends and family who may also find it useful. And if you found this guide helpful, subscribe to our newsletter for more handy tech tips.
Last updated: June 2023