How much does it cost to replace a MacBook screen at the Apple store?
Here are the official Apple Store prices for replacing or repairing your MacBook screen
MacBook laptops from Apple are some of the most beautiful and well designed – not to mention powerful, but just like everything else man-made they aren’t impervious to accidental drops, dings, and damage.
Additional Reading: Everything You Should Know about Apple’s One-Year Warranty
Thanks to the fact that they are made using high-quality construction materials (especially milled aluminum) they feel indestructible in the hand, but those gorgeous retina displays have the potential to pop and spiderweb just like any other screen out there.
Unlike most laptop computer repairs, the retina display on the MacBook is very unique, and as a result much more expensive to service.
- Lenovo, HP, Dell and all major OEM for PCs will utilize the same display across hundreds of models, and even that display is used across multiple years of laptops.
- The same cannot be true for MacBooks, often it is one display for one particular model year, size, color and that is it for that display.
If you are unlucky enough to have a damaged screen, chances are pretty good you started to look into how much does it cost to replace a MacBook screen at the Apple Store – and the odds are pretty good you had a tough time hammering down concrete figures without bringing your computer into a store and having someone from the Genius Bar have a look.
- If you wanted to make an appointment with a Genius Bar, you can find that additional information here.
- Due to COVID-19, appointments are limited and even harder to schedule as of June 2020.
In this quick guide we hope to show you about how much you can expect to have to spend on MacBook repair going forward, the total “all in” cost for getting your screen replaced, and your computer back up and running.
We’re only discussing a screen replacement in this article if you have additional damages, or looking for a battery replacement quote we have written about that too.
Damage to a MacBook screen can feel like an end of the world kind of scenario, especially if the damage is extensive and looks like it is going to render your favorite laptop on usable. That’s why so many people are nervous about how much does it cost to replace a MacBook screen at the Apple Store in the first place.
Thankfully though, the experts at Apple stores nationwide (especially here in Minneapolis, Minnesota) have been trained extensively on how to quickly and efficiently replace or repair screens on these laptops – getting you back up and running in no time at all.
In fact, screen repairs represent close to 25% of all the different repairs that Apple experts handle for customers in-store. The next most popular repairs are motherboard failures, and hard drive failures.
Screen damage caused by accidental dropping, bumping and shuffling at work or at school, or the dreaded dead pixel issues that plagued earlier MacBook models a lot more frequently than they do today have helped Apple repair technicians practice plenty in the past for repairing or swapping out a damaged displays in record time.
How much will my Macbook screen repair cost with AppleCare?
Your out-of-pocket costs for Mac repair of a busted or defective screen on your MacBook will set you back $99 for a cracked screen.
Any additional damages will bump your bill to $300.
How much will my Macbook screen repair cost without AppleCare?
If you have a MacBook with a Retina display screen (pretty standard equipment these days, but not with the older MacBooks) you can expect to spend between $455 and $755 replacing the screen completely at the Apple Store.
- Tier 4 Accidental Damage is $655, then an additional $100 Labor Charge for a total of $755.
- Tier 3 Accidental Damage is $555, then an additional $100 Labor Charge for a total of $655.
- Tier 2 Accidental Damage is $455, then an additional $100 Labor Charge for a total of $555.
- Tier 1 Accidental Damage is $355, then an additional $100 Labor Charge for a total of $455.
At the end of the day, trying to figure out how much does it cost to replace a MacBook screen at the Apple Store is a puzzle because there are so many factors that can determine the overall cost of your repair.
- A dent in the palmrest or bottom case on your MacBook may bump you up to a Tier 3 repair from a Tier 1 repair cost.
- Any old liquid damage that didn’t do any harm to your computer will immediately place you in the Tier 4 $755 repair cost.
Unless you have Apple Care protection that can replace these components at no cost to you, you’re looking at spending big bucks at the Apple store to have it repaired.
If you would rather skip the Apple store, your friendly Gophermods can help you with all your MacBook repairs, we have also written another article on other MacBook repairs beyond just screen replacements.
How to Check if You Have Coverage Online?
If you need to check to see if you have AppleCare coverage online, it is still convenient, but the steps are different depending on the device.
You will need your serial number from your device; the first step for all devices is to go here.
- Click on the Apple menu in the bottom corner of the screen.
- Choose About this Mac.
- You will see a list of information about your Mac, including the serial number.
- Copy and paste the number into the box
- Understanding Screen Burn: Causes, Prevention, and Repair - May 23, 2023
- Reviving Your Liquid Damaged Smartphone with Gophermods - May 13, 2023
- Swollen Battery In Your Phone or Laptop: How to Detect and Prevent - May 8, 2023